toggle menu
Live: KOFM 102.9 Newcastle
 
Listen live

Worker Suffers Electrical Shock, Cutting Power To Newcastle CBD

He's fighting for life..

Worker Suffers Electrical Shock, Cutting Power To Newcastle CBD Firefighters responding to a fire alarm in Honeysuckle Drive

A man in his early 20's is fighting for his life after suffering an electrical shock, triggering a blackout in Newcastle's CBD.

He was working in a power pit in Wharf Road at around 11am, when he cut through a high voltage cable.

Paramedics treated him at the scene, before rushing him to John Hunter Hospital with critical burns to his chest, shoulder and face.

He's likely to be flown to Sydney's Royal North Shore Hospital for further treatment.

Power was cut to businesses in the city centre for about 90 minutes, with 800 customers affected along Honeysuckle Drive through to Fort Scratchley.

Some buildings were forced to evacuate.

 

;