toggle menu
Live: KOFM
 
Listen live

Cigarette Sparks Fire At Old Newcastle Post Office

The building suffered smoke damage

Cigarette Sparks Fire At Old Newcastle Post Office Liz Knott (Lost Newcastle Facebook page)

Newcastle's historic post office has escaped major damage after a small fire broke out on the verandah.

Rubbish was set alight just before 10pm, with the flames spreading to a lounge.

It took firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

The iconic building suffered smoke damage, but thankfully no structural damage.

Police say a discarded cigarette appears to be to blame. however the fire isn't being treated as suspicious.

Homeless people are known to sleep on the post office verandah.

;