Cheesecake? Or sneezecake? Science tells us the bacteria on a birthday cake increases by 1400% after the candles are blown out.
Despite the scary stat, and the fact that stacks of childcare centres have banned kids from blowing the candles for this reason, scientists reckon it's still safe to indulge.
Professor PauL Dawson from the Clemson Uni in South Carolina has been researching the spread of germs from spluttering kids awash with birthday excitement, and he says the chance of actually getting sick from eating a slice is 'minimal'.
He does, of course, say that we should be more careful if the birthday girl or boy happens to be sick.