Image: Twitter @AshArgoon
Sweeping police raids have taken place on the home that the Brighton siege gunman shared with his mother.
On Tuesday morning, officers swarmed the Roxburgh Park home of 29-year old Yacqub Khayre, after he gunned down a hotel clerk at the Buckingham Serviced Apartments in Brighton, took a prostitute hostage and died in a police shootout on Monday.
At this stage, police believe Khayre was acting alone but it's been revealed he was on parole and had been acquitted of the 2009 Holsworthy army barracks terror plot.
Islamic State claimed Khayre as one of their "fighters":
Victoria Police says hundreds of its officers, as well as federal police, are "making sure everything that's behind this" is going towards finding his motivation.
"There is nothing that we've found thus far that would suggest to us that this was anything that was planned or done in concert with others," Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters on Tuesday morning.
Malcolm Turnbull questioned how the man with links to terror, was out on parole before killing one man and injuring three police officers while holding a woman hostage.
The prime minister described Monday's attack, which left Khayre dead, as a shocking and cowardly crime.
AFP Acting Commissioner Michael Phelan say the events "do demonstrate the threat of terror is real in this country" but the threat level remains at "probable".
"To raise it to the next level means we have very specific intelligence an event will occur," he says.
However, Mr Phelan says the crime scene, the home and the gunman's electronic data were still being examined.
More to come.